Many Covers Monday: Harry Potter

After it was not so recently revealed that the classic, original covers were to go out of print and replaced with new, shiny covers, I thought I'd do something crazy this Monday. Harry Potter. But not the first book, no! This Monday I'm showcasing... entire sets of the books. Cool, but a lot of work. And a lot of tabs.

These won't just be the covers you know and love, I've included international sets of the books too, which I've never seen before. Not all of the covers are here, but most of them are.
(Ignore the random pattern for the last image. I wanted to tile them right)


UK - these are the new covers revealed by Bloomsbury recently. At first, I was bowled over and in love with the gorgeous artwork on these covers but now, I'm not so sure. It brings up a lot of questions - why do these covers seem so juvenile? Why does Harry never age? And why choose to put such massive spoilers on these covers? However, if you read this post you may find that these covers are nothing to worry about as the UK releases new covers practically every year.


US - The original Scholastic covers. Some reprints may have sneaked in here, but the art is all the same. It seems in America they were content with just changing the font colour every so often, whereas in the UK you could walk into a single bookstore and pick out three very different covers. We even had 'adult editions'! I really like these covers. They're not spoilery but very eye catching and I love that the art seems to get better with age. Although, the US felt that changing Philosopher's to Sorcerer's Stone would be best, as apparently you're all too stupid to know what a Philosopher is.



UK - The original covers, even though Goodreads keeps showing me the American covers. I don't think there's a single cover where Harry isn't pulling a stupid face (except Phoenix) and the art is clearly not done by the same artist. However, these are the covers I grew up with, that I waited months and months for. I was 8 when I started this series, and 16 when it ended, so Harry Potter has always been a big part of my life.


UK - Back to UK again and these are the 'Signature Editions'. I'm not sure how much the rest of the world knows of our cover obsession. The new cover set at the top has gained a lot of attention, but these, released around 2010, have never really taken off. They would make great tattoos though.


German - I nearly cracked up laughing when I saving these covers. Harry seems to be looking suspiciously at the reader, almost as he's accusing them of something. Then there's the Harry doppelgangers for apparently no reason. Great art, but very weird. One thing that this book has that no other cover set has above though - have you spotted it? - Joanne K. Rowling. Clearly they're not as fussy as other publishers.


Spanish - These ones are nice and tell you a little about what's going to happen without revealing most of the plot. I would have liked to have seen more of Ron and Hermione though.

Italian - Harry and the series of questionable outfits. After the rat hat and the snake hat fiasco, Harry decides to ditch his unusual hats once and for all and invest in giant scarves instead. The last cover is seriously creepy.


UK - Yes, we're back in the UK. Every series seems to have a name and these are the 'Adult Editions'. When I was younger I genuinely used to think these had extras in them for adults like *gasp* swearing. I was an innocent child! These are pretty cool covers but I do feel like they've selected a whole bunch of stock images.


Dutch - Up until the 5th book, I love these covers. The forth one, in the bottom left hand corner has mermaid silhouettes that you may not see right away. My only issue (you may have to click to make the image bigger) is that in between the author's name there's some really odd animals, ranging from a cardinal to a doe. I think the art department may have received a mistranslation of what a phoenix is.


French - I think I've got this set right, they're certainly all French. The Folio Junior editions cut off at book 5, but the art is similar. I think my favourite of these covers is 'Harry Potter Looks Angrily On Cliff Top'.


US - If you're not in the US and don't own these covers right now, and are feeling seething envy towards anyone who owns this incredible 15th anniversary collection, prepare yourselves, because this is what happens when you line up all the spines. Not enough jealousy? Here's the box too. I think I need to buy this set.


Finnish - Why Finland why? Why couldn't you just go with something nice and normal instead of huge noises and horrifying toad ladies? It gets worse when you realise the terrifying grinning lady on book two is in fact, Gilderoy Lockhart.


Persian - These covers seem like someone once really enjoyed scrapbooking but then got bored and just stuck the UK covers on them instead. The first few covers feel very dated.


Swedish - These covers seem to be a fan favourite and it's not hard to see why - the artwork here is beautifully elaborate. I want to keep looking at them! The last cover is one of my all time favourites, I would love to buy a print of that.


Danish - These covers are pretty dark! Those creepy zombies at 6 are enough to put me off my food. Just kidding. Nothing puts me off my food. My favourite cover is 'Harry Potter Tries Not To Sneeze While Being Stalked By Creepy Horses Of Doom'


French - I'm going to guess that these are the 'adult editions'. The font is nice and I like the leaves... but these covers are terribly boring. I feel like yawning just looking at them.


UK - For anyone trying to keep track this is the 5th UK set. There's another but as it stopped at 4 books I left that one. This one has a nice feel to it, and I like it more the more I look at it. Makes me think of pop art. These were actually released last year and already there's hype about the next set of covers. While the signature editions weren't popular, I did know that those existed - I have never seen these covers in shops.


Ukrainian - So colourful! These are the first covers I've seen that appear to be modelled on Daniel Radcliffe's face. Have a look at a large image of the last cover if you want. They do follow the same patter however - Flying, Phoenix, Griffin, Dragon, Gold Statues, Boat, The Three Friends. These are all published by a company called... А-БА-БА-ГА-ЛА-МА-ГА - really.


Danish - I guess the Danish publishers agreed that their other covers were a bit too scary and chose to do something prettier. These are fairly new, only a couple of years old. I'm loving the colours!


Concept - Designed by M. S. Corley, I don't know if these were ever published (they are listed on Goodreads). They are seriously cool covers though. Apparently they're designed to look like Penguin paperbacks.


Phew! It took me a full day to make this post, one of the longest times I've ever spent on a post. I'm going to be a little boring and say that the original UK covers are my favourites, simply because  grew up with them and have a weird emotional connection to them!

Which is your favourite?

6 comments:

  1. This must have taken hours to put together.....I'm also glad I'm not the only one who likes things to line up and be neat.
    I have the adult versions on these books, they are my favourite of them all. I do like the white covers, but too scared to actually buy them, the covers would get smudges on them far too easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, you've done awesome on this post! Just seeing them ALL like that...aaamazing. ;)

    I have to admit, the Finnish and German ones kind of give me nightmares. *gags a little* I would probably drop them faster than a hot potato if that was my only cover option. But the new Bloomsbury ones?! I LOVE THEM SO MUCH. I could so handle a matching set of those. xD

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha I literally laughed out loud at the female Gilderoy Lockhart!!!!! Not sure which ones I like best, I like a few of them..... Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! Okay I have to say that I adore the new covers i think they're so intricate and beautifully detailed. The original covers are nostalgic, but the art style was too inconsistent for me. I like the Signature Editions too!

    Check out my TTT!

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to collect these covers. They are all so gorgeous! I grew up with the Dutch covers and I actually think they are pretty cool. I would love to get a set in English as well. I am torn between the new Bloomsbury covers or (if they are still available) the 15th anniversary editions in the cool boxset.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to collect the covers but my bank account always stops me from doing so... T^T

    ReplyDelete

I love meaningful comments! Spam and advertisers* will be deleted.
*advertisers - people who copypasta a few words and leave a link to their blog