Colder (Vol #1) Comic Book Review

Declan Thomas's body temperature is dropping. He never gets sick, never feels pain. An ex-inmate of an insane asylum that was destroyed in a fire, he has the strange ability to step inside a person's madness - and sometimes cure it. He hopes to one day cure his own, but time is running out, as a demonic predator pursues him through a nightmare version of Boston - and when Declan's temperature reaches zero...it's over!

Sheer. Freaking. Genius. Great art? Check. Great storyline? Check. Not drawn out over 20 thousand volumes? Check! I was expecting this to be mediocre, or okay at best but I was really surprised to find how much I loved reading this book. The story is simple enough, a man in a lunatic asylum is visited by Nimble Jack, an entity that tells him, "Hello Declan. You're going to grow colder." And Declan does. Over the course of the next few decades his temperature slowly drops - and if it hits zero it's all over.

It's not realistic by any means (come on, the main character is literally blue from cold) but I really don't care for realism when I can have humongous dogs that are half giant hands instead. I love creepy, cringy, push your hands through your mouth into your eyes horror and this had everything. Plus Declan was pretty damn fine...

The entire story of Nimble Jack searching for his next meal (in the form of Declan's girlfriend) is wrapped up in 5 issues/1  volume however I know there are future volumes, so I'll be picking these up too to see where they take us. Hopefully somewhere horrific.

5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love meaningful comments! Spam and advertisers* will be deleted.
*advertisers - people who copypasta a few words and leave a link to their blog