Dept. H (Volume #1) Comic Book Review

Mia is a special investigator hired to uncover possible sabotage taking place at a deep-sea research station. What she uncovers is a mind-blowing crime scene filled with suspects with terrible secrets, strange deep-sea creatures, and an impending flood!

I mean this in the nicest way possible but this story was a load of cack. I have read enough Young Adult books like this to easily spot everything they're trying to cover up and it's just not working. Love interest? Check. An old friend turned rival? Check. A constant whiny monologue about how great she is? Check. Repeated sentences to hide the lack of story? Check, check, waiter where's my check? I'm out.

The story is basically super genius chick goes to solve her father's murder because when someone is murdered you obviously send their closest relative. She constantly tells us that space is her thing and she doesn't dive, just to add to the irritation. Her constant monologue repeating over and over in different ways just made me want to chuck the book, had I not read the digital edition.

I'd like to at least say that the art in this none existent story was lovely. Unfortunately I can't do that because it was a bit of a mess. I tried to go with the rough sketch combined with watercolour style but it kept changing through panels which just made the whole thing look amateurish. The bar along the side showing the depth was cute for two pages.

I know other readers are raving about this but it's honestly just blah. I couldn't help but feel like they ripped the idea from that Doctor Who (10th) story featuring the Devil for most of the way through. There's no real interaction between her and Raj, despite them being siblings. He was so, so cardboard.

1/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love meaningful comments! Spam and advertisers* will be deleted.
*advertisers - people who copypasta a few words and leave a link to their blog