Manifest Destiny (Volume #1) Comic Book Review

In 1804, Captain Meriwether Lewis and Second Lieutenant William Clark set out on an expedition to explore the uncharted American frontier. This is the story of the monsters they discovered lurking in the wilds...

This is my second time(ish) reading Manifest Destiny. I originally read a couple of issues of it back when it was first released and absolutely loved how creepy and mysterious it was, so I did presume that I would love it just as much now. That wasn't the case but this is still a great first volume of the series.

We're not taught American History in high school here in England, so I had to do a bit of Googling to find Sacagawea, whose name I did recognise and the Lewis and Clark expedition of 1804, which I had never even heard of. I'm usually a bit wary of a new take on an established historical event but this seems so far, so good.

The parts that don't stay true to the story are well... crazy zombie plant people. I think something similar was done in Z Nation recently so this comic may be where they got the idea from! It's an interesting concept and super creepy but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting sick of seeing zombies. Still, zombie plant animals is a new idea.

By the end we'd lost quite a few members of the crew to sort-of-minotaurs and crazy plant creatures, while Lewis and Clark nearly got eaten by a gigantic venus fly trap like plant, so I'm looking forward to the future volumes to see what else they discover on their journey across America - and hopefully there will be some answers as to why there's crazy zombie plant things?

4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love meaningful comments! Spam and advertisers* will be deleted.
*advertisers - people who copypasta a few words and leave a link to their blog