Pull Me: Notable Comics This Week (16/01/2017)

This week I've been wading through League Of Comic Geeks, discovering all the comics I've missed out. My Goodreads comic list is now bursting at the seams! I've found the time to read a few recent releases, like Aquaman: The Drowing, House Of Penance and Batman: I Am Gotham. Here's the comic book releases this week that caught my eye, minus Dollface, which I posted last week before they changed the release date:

Comic Books


CURSE WORDS #1
PUBLISHER: IMAGE

The new ongoing series from CHARLES SOULE (Daredevil, Death of Wolverine, Star Wars) and RYAN BROWNE (GOD HATES ASTRONAUTS) is COMING FOR YOU! A wizard has appeared in New York City, and he’s casting wonderful spells, getting famous, getting rich—it’s great! But it’s not. This wizard has everyone fooled. He is actually an EVIL WIZARD, and EVIL THINGS are on the way. CURSE WORDS is a gonzo modern fantasy, full of darkness, light…and MAGIC.

Let's face it, my pulls of the week are going to be majority Image releases. You can't blame me though - Image are consistently bringing out weird and wonderful things, like this story of a (secretly) evil Wizard in New York.


AQUAMAN #15
PUBLISHER: DC

“THE DELUGE” conclusion! It’s all been leading to this: Aquaman and his Atlantean army vs. Black Manta and the forces of N.E.M.O. in a final fight for supremacy over the seven seas. Whoever wins, one thing is certain: only one man will swim out alive!

I'm not completely caught up on this series but I just read the first volume and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, I can't wait to see where it goes next.


THE MIGHTY CAPTAIN MARVEL #1
PUBLISHER: MARVEL

The Greatest. That’s what they call her. Carol Danvers has been to the depths of outer space and back, but that still hasn’t prepared her for her newfound status of biggest super hero ever.
Yaas, Queen! Danvers may not like the crown she’s wearing, but boy does it look good on her. Just watch out for the thorns it comes with—forces trying to take down everything Carol has built.

Carol Danvers makes her triumphant return as the Mighty Captain Marvel! Written by celebrity writer Margaret Stohl (Beautiful Creatures, Black Widow: Forever Red) and drawn by the artfully talented Ramon Rosanas (Ant-Man), this bold new take on Earth’s mightiest and favorite hero!

Whoever wrote that description should be fired for writing "yaas queen" but anyway. As I'm terrible with Superheroes I've naturally not read this one either but this seems like a vaguely good place to start. I may have to wikipedia the history first though...


THE FEW #1
PUBLISHER: IMAGE

Critically lauded writer and playwright SEAN LEWIS follows up the cult favorite SAINTS with his newest book THE FEW. Teaming with red-hot artist HAYDEN SHERMAN for a LIMITED MAXI-SERIES, THE FEW combines Mad Max action with a Station Eleven sensibility in this sci-fi series for mature readers. In a dystopian future, two survivalist brothers stumble across an unlikely sight: a woman asleep in the woods holding nothing but a gun and a baby wearing a gas mask. As these boys begin to embark on helping this woman, betrayals, secrets, and revolutions abound in the fight for what’s left of America.

This is either going to be the best thing since sliced bread... or completely rubbish. Fingers crossed for the former!


MANIFEST DESTINY #25
PUBLISHER: IMAGE

MANIFEST DESTINY hits its twenty-fifth issue in this oversized comic! Lewis & Clark hunker down for the winter, and all is calm…until old enemies emerge from the fog…
Plus, a BONUS STORY of Sacagawea, where we learn how a young girl became the warrior she is today.

Finally something I have read! I've read the first volume of this so I really need to catch up this week. It got some poor reviews but I was a little obsessed with how weird it is.

Graphic Novels


DEPT H (VOL #1)
PUBLISHER: DARK HORSE COMICS

From New York Times best-selling MIND MGMT creator Matt Kindt comes an exciting new undersea sci-fi mystery. Mia is a special investigator hired to uncover possible sabotage taking place at a deep-sea research station. What she uncovers is a mind-blowing crime scene filled with suspects with terrible secrets, strange deep-sea creatures, and an impending flood! Collects issues #1-#6 of the series. 'The mixture of black and white art and color is brilliant.'-Graphic Policy

It's a good thing comics are a quick read because my mountain increases every week. This sounds so, so good. There will likely be a review up for it pretty quickly.


JUSTICE LEAGUE (VOL #1)
PUBLISHER: DC

In these stories from JUSTICE LEAGUE: REBIRTH #1 and issues #1-5 of the new series, a new day dawns for the Justice League as they welcome a slew of new members into their ranks. The question remains though, can the world's greatest superheroes trust these new recruits? And will the members of the League be able to come together against an ancient evil that threatens to reclaim not just the world, but the entire universe?

Someone is bound to get butthurt if I call these the not-so-good-avengers before reading any of it so I will. But I still fully expect that Batman and Supes will spend most of their time flexing and arguing.


KARNAK (VOL #1)
PUBLISHER: MARVEL

'My curse is that I see the flaw in all things. Systems. Philosophies. Structures. People. Everything. Never forget who I am.' He is Karnak of the Inhumans, and you will know his name. And when Phil Coulson seeks him out to consult on a S.H.I.E.L.D. case with Inhuman implications, what Karnak finds will terrify you. Can even he go it alone against an entire warehouse full of enemy agents? And when a death cult abducts an Inhuman child and installs him as its messiah, will Magister Karnak of the Tower of Wisdom rescue the boy?

I have no idea who this is. STOP JUDGING ME. I'm getting some serious Benedict Cumberbatch vibes though. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love meaningful comments! Spam and advertisers* will be deleted.
*advertisers - people who copypasta a few words and leave a link to their blog