Review of Wake by Lisa McMann

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.
She can't tell anybody about what she does they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can’t control.
Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant.


~ Add To Your Goodreads Shelf
~ Buy From Amazon UK
~ Buy From Amazon US


I love this book! I've read it twice so far and I'm dying to read Fade, which I plan to do very soon. The idea that you could see other people's dreams is certainly a intriguing one for me (and probably for many people) and I think that's one of the reasons I enjoyed this so much.

Janie is a strong character - I really felt for her when she was going though the frustrations of being stuck in people's dreams without knowing how to help or get out of the dreams. I also felt for Caleb quite a lot when Janie was refusing to listen to what he had to say. I would have liked to hear more of Janie's Mom and Cassie's story though, they were mentioned frequently but they still felt like background characters.

The writing style in this book really drew me in, I couldn't stop reading, nor did I want to. It was difficult to drag myself away. Which is ironic because Janie gets sucked in too - to other people's dreams.

As you'd expect with dreams, there's some hilarious moments, especially with Melanie's dreams about Carrie. My particular favourite hilarious moment involved a coffee cart.

I discovered on Goodreads a fair few people who hate Lisa McMann, just because of this book. What's wrong with it? For a debut novel its very very good. I think they should try out Cryer's Cross because that book is just beyond amazing.

5/5 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus