Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Today we're looking at the many different covers of Jay Asher and choosing a winner! Some are rejackets and others are foreign language covers.

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers thirteen cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker, his classmate and crush who committed suicide two weeks earlier.
On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.
Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.


This was his freaking debut? Oh man, this book was amazing. I read it at least 5 years ago and still remember it, I'm going to read it again - as soon as I can grab a copy anyway!

I hope you guys like covers, because 20 varied, amazing covers for 13 Reasons Why. Each country had it's own idea about what the cover should look like!



(UK/US) The UK cover was my cover and I don't know where that is now. I plan to search out a hardback! I like this cover because it keeps everything simple. I remember being drawn to the tagline first, which is what sold it to me.

I'm not sure about the US Cover. It's a bit all over the place and now I'm really looking at it, I'm questioning her choice of hat and shoes...


(US/Bulgarian) The US cover is back and this time, it's personal. No wait. It's grey. That's it. They've also decided they like the hat but the shoes have just gotta go.

I really like the Bulgarian cover. Any cover that doesn't have a girl on it feels unusual to me. I'm not sure about that gigantic number 13 though?


(Catalan/Czech) If you squint REALLY HARD you can see the silhouette of a girl on Catalan's cover. And if you read a lot (or possibly not much) you'll have seen her before, on the covers of Evermore and North of Beautiful.

I don't think the Czech cover designers tried to keep it close to the cover all all. It looks like some sort of comic book.


(Dutch/Estonian) I love the Dutch cover a whole heck of a lot. I have a thing for the torn paper look on covers. The Estonian cover is okay. It has a girl on it and I've never seen a leaf that colour. I like the play button though.


(German/Hungarian) These two covers speak volumes about why cover design is so, so important. I always judge a book by it's cover in shops, because there's a lot of books and I like to go through them quickly. So there's covers you can easily ascertain as being Paranormal, Contemporary etc. If I glanced at these covers I'd guess as Dystopian and Paranormal Romance.


(Icelandic/Indonesian) I like these covers. Iceland would get 10 points from me if they hadn't chosen a backwards girl on the cover. However, I love what Indonesia have done with theirs, the tape letters idea is an obvious one but I think they're the only ones to have done it.


(Italian) It's funny, Hannah isn't even the main character yet nearly all of these covers, when they have people, have girls on them. I have no thoughts towards the first, it's just eh.

However I find the second interesting, because it looks exactly like a rip off of Teri Terry's Slated cover. But it's nice that it's a best seller there. The other cover must have done something.


(Polish/Portuguese) Poland aren't exactly known for their most exciting covers and sadly this is no exception. It looks like a story about the hooded youth.

I really like the Portuguese cover, they've kept it simple and made it eye catching too. Very clever!


(Serbian/Slovenian) I actually really like these. I guess I'm a sucker for over layered stationary and boys sitting on steps with old technology.


(Swedish) Contrary to popular belief, the book is not set in a cafe. Actually I think that's suppose to be a classroom. Trippy. Although I know the second cover is kind of bad, it has SWIRLS. Swirls! Although they used the old tape recorder note type thingys for the title which is clever. I'm 22, Tape Recorders were on their way out when I was growing up. Don't judge me.


Winner


(Portuguese)
I had issues with nearly all of these covers, but this one really stood out for me. I have no issues at all with it, so this is my winner! Which was yours?

Next week: The Diviners by Libba Bray

Comments

  1. I have the US HB version. I believe it's the girl on the swing in color. I really like the grayed-out cover better.

    Also, I really like the Indonesian one with the letters made of tape. I have not read TRW, so I wonder how the tape plays into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Portuguese cover is the best one as well. Funny how the second Italian cover is almost identical to Slated's cover by Teri Terry. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely the Portuguese! And then a three-way tie for second between Bulgarian, Dutch, and Indonesian. I have the US Paperback (the "we hate color and shoes" one), and it is just "meh" to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus