Review of Killing Sound by Paul Southern

Format: Paperback
Genres: Horror, Mystery,

Pages: 352
Publisher: Chicken House
Release Date: 04/09/2014
Find The Author: Website ¦ Twitter
Abe Books ¦ Book Depository ¦ Goodreads


Jodie is cursed with a terrible gift. She just doesn't know it yet. When she stumbles across one of her dead father's old papers on sound waves in the attic, it sets her on a terrifying journey to find out more, leading her across the streets of London to the dark, untrodden tunnels of the Underground, where she is forced to face the truth. Her worst nightmare is about to become real. Worse, she can hear it coming.
 

This is a brutal, bloody read that will grab you from it's first page. I was hooked within the first couple of chapters where a father comes home, looking to prove that his experiment does indeed work. A few hours later and all that's left is are bloody remains and a small, screaming child. Killing Sound knows it's for the YA market, but doesn't once let up on it's descriptive blood and gore.

It was interesting watching Jodie try and cope in her world - she's getting followed by some pretty crazy goths who want her and her not-exactly-a-boyfriend to play chicken with them, she comes home to a house literally stuffed with secrets as she finds later and then there's the demon thing.

One thing I really loved about Killing Sound was that it kept me guessing. I wasn't sure if Jodie, the main character was crazy, seeing monsters and demons everywhere, or if there really was a demon stalking her and killing her family. I also considered that she might be in a mental asylum.

Obviously, I don't want to give too much away about this book but I can honestly say that it's one of the first books in a very long time that has actually had me looking over my shoulder with shivers running down my spine. It's a haunting read, perfect for any horror movie fan and I honestly did not guess what would happen at the end, it was just so shocking, especially for a YA book.


Comments

  1. Anonymous11:09 am BST

    I would love to read so more YA horror but this does sound very scary. This is on my wishlist, but if I pick it up I am going to make sure I read it in the daylight! Yes, I am a chicken, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus