Review of Hunger by Jackie Morse Kessler

“Thou art the Black Rider. Go thee out unto the world.”
 
Lisabeth Lewis has a black steed, a set of scales, and a new job: she’s been appointed Famine. How will an anorexic seventeen-year-old girl from the suburbs fare as one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse? 

Traveling the world on her steed gives Lisa freedom from her troubles at home: her constant battle with hunger, and her struggle to hide it from the people who care about her. But being Famine forces her to go places where hunger is a painful part of everyday life, and to face the horrifying effects of her phenomenal power. Can Lisa find a way to harness that power — and the courage to battle her own inner demons?


Oh boy did I hate this book when I first read it. I get to around page 40 and thought it was utter tripe and I also thought that the Author has just found every stereotype that she could of Anorexia and used it. I even went as far as to want to read about the Horse's opinion and I don't do books from an animal's perspective. So I put it down, willing to read it another day.
So I started this again. It was the same as before but I was willing to stick with it and read it all the way through. And you know what? I'm glad I did. 

Lisa isn't a character that grew on me quickly. I didn't like her until the last couple of chapters. I thought that she was whiny and stupid. (It's just a cheese fry girl! Eat it already!) Whereas with he horse, I liked him immediately. Same with Pestilence and Death. Rage however, I felt she was stuck up and rude.

The book has some moments that I read with an open mouth. Page 108, that's the most haunting and descriptive tale of Bulimia I have ever read. I can imagine everything vividly. Skip to page 122 where Lisa finally confronts her Mother after years of mental abuse and was shocked and riveted.
4/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus