Review of Sisters Red - Jackson Pearce

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead.
Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect with this book but I loved the cover and the story sounded interesting, plus I kept seeing it in Waterstones, sitting there, whispering to me... 'Buy me... buy me...'

Insanity aside, this book is awesome. I liked that it would switch to the other sister in each chapter, that way I could see the point of view of both and when they argued, I could see both sides of the story. It was especially useful with Rosie's budding romance with Silas. I have to say, I preferred Rosie. I can understand where Scarlett is coming from but she makes really rash decisions and pretty much forces Rosie and Silas to hunt with her, so Rosie doesn't get much of a life. Silas sees this and makes her go to a Community College as part of his 'get-Rosie-a-life' plan. It's not much but it gets her out of the apartment.

There's a definite fairy-tale feel throughout this book and  the prologue which tells the tale of how Scarlett got her scars is written like a Fairytale. Plus, something most YA readers will enjoy - a bit a fairytale romance between Silas and Rosie, which I think is fantastically written (except for one thing - see quotes). More than once I was screaming at the book, 'Kiss her already!'
Scarlett could have done with someone to love her but in a way that person is in the hunt, it's what she lives for. I just hope that one day she finds someone...

5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus