Review of The Vampire's Warden by S.J. Wright

He moved. It was a flash in the moonlight, a blur of motion like I'd never witnessed before. No human had the capacity to move like that. When I found myself face-to-face with him there in the meadow, I knew without a doubt that the journal was authentic. I knew that my grandfather hadn't been crazy at all.

Because a foot away from me stood a vampire.

What do you do when you find out the people you trust have been hiding a terrible secret? When Sarah Wood's father passes away and hands over to her the responsibility of running the family's inn, she finds put things are far more complicated than she first imagined. She's not just responsible for running the inn. She's become the Vampire's Warden.


~ Add To Your Goodreads Shelf
~ Buy From Amazon UK
~ Buy From Amazon US  


The Vampire's Warden has a good plot line but needs some work. Instead of building up the storyline and letting me get used to the characters, I was just sort of throw in. This works for some books but not this one. I didn't really get a feel for Sarah's character and as a consequence, I didn't care about her. Pace is also something that needs to be worked on, this book should have been thicker - it needed more descriptions or the characters, scenery, you get the idea. Some descriptions felt a little repetitive at times, especially when Sarah was describing Alex and Michael's muscles...

Sarah's sister was confusing. She entered the story and then left very quickly, for a reason that I couldn't work out. I think she should have stayed longer so we could understand her character and sympathise with her.
For a debut by a self pubbed, it's quite good and I look forward to reading more of S.J. Wright's books in the hope that her writing will improve over time.

3/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus