Review of One of Those Hideous Books Where the Mother Dies by Sonya Sones

My name is Ruby.
This book is about me.
It tells the deeply hideous story
of what happens when my mother dies
and I'm dragged three thousand miles away
from my gorgeous boyfriend, Ray,
to live in L.A. with my father,
who I've never even met
because he's such a scumbag that he
divorced my mom before I was born.
The only way I've ever even seen him
is in the movies,
since he's this megafamous actor
who's been way too busy
trying to win Oscars
to even visit me once in fifteen years.
Everyone loves my father.
Everyone but me.


~Add To Your Goodreads Shelf

I saw a review of this on another blog and I was quite intrigued by the title. I'm used to titles with no more than three words! Anyway, I decided to read the review and upon discovering that it was told in poetry style, like Ellen Hopkins, I immediately swapped all my SwagBucks for a £5 Amazon voucher and waited eagerly for it to arrive. Which was today... I had to read this!

I wasn't disappointed. One Of Those... is a great fluffy read, rather quick and I was left with a feeling I can only describe as satisfied. I blame the quote on the cover. The tale focuses mainly on the poetry format but it's also told through letters and e-mails sent between Ruby, the main character, Lizzie, Ruby's best friend and Ray, Ruby's boyfriend. I found Ruby's voice fantastically hilarious at times and I'm guilty of reading many snippets out to my OH!

I did feel sorry for Whip, Ruby's Dad, quite a lot through this. Before she had even met him she had him pegged as an asshole without getting his side of the story. As soon as she turns up he tries to make her as happy as possible but she's not interested in the slightest. Ruby is really hurting after losing her mom though, and I felt sorry for her, being stuck in an alien environment with no-one she knows to grieve with.

There were parts of this that were a little silly and a little predictable but I feel that that's a good thing and it compliments this fluffy read nicely. I definitely will be buying more from Sonya and re-reading this a lot! If you liked Ellen Hopkins but want something a little shorter and not as heavy, I'd definitely recommend this.

5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus