Review of Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

~Add To Your Goodreads Shelf~

An action packed novel with a hot boys,, supernatural daimons and a kick ass chick? Yes please! I found this story a little hard to get into but after a couple of chapters I just couldn't put it down. Alex is easily going to be one of my favourite characters now, as I love strong, sarcastic characters and she really bites if you annoy her. She gets beaten up quite a lot, both by Daimons and her training instructor but she just picks herself back up and and carries on, to the point where Aiden has to tell her off for not mentioning that she's injured.

Admittedly, I didn't like Aiden's character as much as everyone else, I much preferred Seth, I guess I just like the mysterious boys better! It will be interesting to see if they'll be a love triangle between Aiden, Alex and Seth later on as Half Blood seemed to be hinting at it.
The world that Alex lives in is very believable and there's a whole lot going on in such a small space! I enjoyed the chemistry between Alex and Aiden during the training sessions, although, as I mentioned, I'm not a huge fan of Aiden. I really liked the playful banter between Seth and Alex, and his tendencies to stalk her around the campus were strangely hilarious!

One thing that does worry me is that a lot of reviewers say that Half Blood is a lot like Vampire Academy. I can't note my thoughts on this as I haven't read Vampire Academy yet, so I'm going to read it and decide for myself, which I recommend most other readers doing if they haven't read VA yet. Another read I recommend is Daimon, the prequel to Half Blood which I plan to pick up very soon!

5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus