BBB's 2011 Book Awards

It's the first Book Awards over at BBB! I've read nearly 150 books this year and these are the best - and the worst of books I've read this year.


Best Dystopia
It took some thinking but my pick for this year's Dystopian is Crossed by Ally Condie. After waiting about a year for it after devouring Matches, it really lived up to expectations and I was surprised that Ky got a say in Crossed.


Best Contemporary
Hate List by Jennifer Brown was my most memorable contemporary this year and I'll happily re-read it again and again! Although it's a pretty thick book, I found myself flying through the pages with ease.


Best Historical
Giving a very descriptive account of life during the Plague, At the Sign of the Sugared Plum by Mary Hooper just squeezed past Revolution (which is only partly Historical, I have to admit). I can still remember this story vividly and look forward to the sequel, which is why I chose it!


Best Indie
This one is an easy one! Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park had me in fits of giggles and made me read out a lot of passages to my partner. I'll always remember this one fondly!


Pretty On The Inside
This nomination is for a book that is beautiful on the inside! I have to pick Low Red Moon by Ivy Devlin for this, as the word moon is in red and the chapter headers are beautiful.


Best Cover
Took A LOT of thinking about but in the end I had to go with The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter, whose publishers chose a model that looks like Megan Fox!


Most Unique Plot
Ultraviolet by R.J. Anderson kept me guessing right until the very end with it's many twists and turns!


Page Turner
Despite the size of it, Blood by Red by Moira Young was devoured within 3 hours!


Book I Read More Than Once
I loved the cover and I love the story - The Goddess Test by Aimee Carter gets it again!


And the worst...


Worst Dystopian
Eve by Anna Carey is almost worst than it's badly shopped cover, if you can believe that!


Worst Historical
Despite a lot of rave reviews from other bloggers, Prisoner of the Inquisition by Theresa Breslin almost put me to sleep, it was very long, very boring and the characters added nothing to the story.


Worst Cover
'Hi, this is the back of my head.' Seriously, Fallen Grace by Mary Hooper?


The Most Disappointing
Ah, I waited for a long time for this sequel but alas, Where She Went by Gayle Forman did not live up to my expectations. It was barely a story, just a piece for the fans.


And the one that made me angry...
If you want to really, really, really have me ranting about you, the best way to do it is to mess up a Historical detail, one so obvious that you could find it out on Wikipedia. So, Raven Queen by Pauline Francis, this one goes to you, for destroying a moment in history so badly, I nearly threw the book across the room.


Of course, I have to have an overall winner of awesomeness, with a big shiny star, a special place on my shelf and my shoving copies in everyone's faces. This year, that award goes to...


Plain Kate by Erin Bow 




Yup, this one is my favourite this year! I cried with sadness, happiness, every emotion at the awesomeness of this book! You should go read it. Now. It has a talking cat in it. Go buy it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus