Review of Night Marchers by Courtney Nuckels and Rebecca Gober

“NEVER, EVER lock eyes with a Night Marcher!” Everyone in Hawaii has heard this warning, except for seventeen-year-old Emma Townsend that is. For most Hawaiians know that looking into the eyes of Night Marcher can strike a curse that will end in death or eternal servitude.

Even though her father, who is a paranormal investigator, solely raised Emma, she has little experience in the realm of the supernatural. When she is forced to move with her father to Hawaii, only months before her graduation, Emma finds that her world as she knows it, is shaken when she starts seeing the unexplainable: fire balls in the distance, beating drums in the middle of nowhere and strangers who vanish into thin air. Then one day when she has a run in with a procession of Night Marchers, ancient Hawaiian spirits wandering from their burial grounds to their locations of battles past, Emma has no choice but to believe that the unbelievable does exist.

Now Emma must go on the run with the help of a mysterious stranger, as they seek out how to free Emma from the curse of a Night Marcher, who will stop at nothing to get her soul.


~ Add To Your Goodreads Shelf
~ Buy From Amazon UK
~ Buy From Amazon US 


Emma is a (very) simple Texas girl, forced to move to Hawaii for her dad's new job. Don't get me wrong, I love the girl but boy is she daft at times. And sometimes irritating too. For instance, Tristan asks her about music and she immediately says, 'Oh, I love Country Music!' I was like, yeah, that's my girl! Until she listed Taylor Swift, The Band Perry and Zack Brown Band as her favourites. To me, that's not country, it's pop. Strange girl.

The plot in this is one of the oddest I've ever read, which is good because I'll have a better chance of remembering it! From Little People to Night Marchers, it gets weirder as the story goes along. The Night Marchers themselves reminded me VERY strongly of The Zars from William Nicholson's The Wind Singer. In fact, they were almost the same.

One thing I didn't like was the spelling. Every so often waist would become waste, lose would become loose, lie would become lye and so on. I'd strongly advise the Authors to seek an editor (some bloggers may do it for free) and get the grammar and spelling cleared up, as it would really help the book...

As for love interests, I liked Tristan but found Kai much more interesting, as his past was.. murky at best! My favourite part of the story was actually the historical text messaging a.k.a Paul, the runner. The messaging between Adam and his wife was pretty hilarious!

This book ends on a cliffhanger so good, I'm off to go buy the sequel and read it as soon as I can!

4 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus