Review of The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumors in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumors tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.


(Add To Your Goodreads Shelf)

When I started reviewing back in 2010, I left a less than 100 word review of Looking For Alaska, basically saying it was rubbish and the author was trying a little too hard to be deep and philosophical. I still think that same now, of course, so when I heard about The Fault in Our Stars I wasn't sure if I should read it or not. However, I spotted a brand new shiny copy at my local library and jumped at the chance. And I'm so, so, glad I did.

The Fault in Our Stars can probably be summed up in one sentence - FEEL ALL THE EMOTIONS. And that's exactly what I did. I felt everything. But I didn't cry, which was surprising. Nothing wrong with the book and I still firmly believe that this is a must-read for 2012. If you're a contemporary fan, grab yourself a copy and get reading! Of course, John Green is still doing that deep and philosophical thing he likes doing and it has improved a lot since Looking For Alaska but I think he would be better at comedy!

The characters, settings and overprotective parents were all perfectly believable and extremely well researched. John said at the back that he used a bit of artistic license for the cancer thing but I didn't bat and eyelid once. Even at Patrick's balls. Or lack of them.

I loved Hazel and Augustus. They were the ultimate couple, one of those couples you should be jealous of but can't help loving because they're just so awesome together, just like Anna and Etienne. They broke my heart, they did. I'll definitely be picking up John Green's other books and reading them, after loving this one as much as I did. I'm almost reluctant to take it back to the library too - it's signed!

5/5

Comments

  1. I'm working backwards over John Green's books as well due to this book.

    I like the fact that he wrote Augustus and Hazel as two people who are determined to live with the effects of what their illness has done to them, rather than being cancer "sufferers", especially towards the poignant ending.

    Glad you loved this book - although I can't advocate theft... even though it's been signed. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus