Many Covers Monday: Code Name Verity


Many Covers Monday is a weekly feature over here at Under The Mountain. It's where I look at the many different covers of books. Usually I pick a title and showcase all it's different covers, including original covers, rejackets and foreign language covers. You can see more covers here! Today we're looking at Elizabeth Wein's Code Name Verity.

I have two weeks. You’ll shoot me at the end no matter what I do.
That’s what you do to enemy agents. It’s what we do to enemy agents. But I look at all the dark and twisted roads ahead and cooperation is the easy way out. Possibly the only way out for a girl caught red-handed doing dirty work like mine — and I will do anything, anything, to avoid SS-Hauptsturmführer von Linden interrogating me again.
He has said that I can have as much paper as I need. All I have to do is cough up everything I can remember about the British War Effort. And I’m going to. But the story of how I came to be here starts with my friend Maddie. She is the pilot who flew me into France — an Allied Invasion of Two.
We are a sensational team.

Book Depository ¦ Amazon UK/US ¦ Goodreads




(UK) Love love love the cover on the left. It's just perfect and I can't even explain why. The left cover is strange and I think it's harder to understand what the book is about. It's my copy and I want to try and get the left one to replace it. 


(US) Eh, these are nice but I just don't care about them. Left is nice, I like the bikes but this happy scene doesn't fit with the dark story. Right is kind of weird and not very eye catching.


(Canada/Dutch) Left is okay. The model reminds me of the actress Audrey Tatou. Right looks like a school textbook to me, I don't like it. But I guess the writing is nice?


(Spanish/Swedish) Much cover love for the Spanish cover, it's very eye catching. Not much love at all for the Swedish, glancing at it I would expect it to be about two American ladies whose boyfriends go off to war.


Winner
 


Agree or disagree? Let me know in the comments!
Next week:
Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Comments

  1. Agreed! I love the one you picked as the winner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely agree! It was either this one, or the Spanish one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the one you chose, but I like the US one on the left too. At first, it looks like it is nice enough but nothing special, but I kind of like how the clouds are kind of ominous in the distance, kind of like you know something bad is about to go down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Spanish cover and the Dutch cover best. The other women are all wearing too much make-up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:43 am BST

    Personally, the winner might actually be my least favourite – to me, the colours clash and it's not very united... I quite like the UK right one and the US left one; they are beautiful covers (and the UK one even has red ink around "Verity"). My favourite might be the Swedish one, though – I like how direct and challenging the model's stare is, and the period clothes (although I'm still not sure who is who... I think that might also be why I like it).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus