Many Covers Monday: Birthmarked by Caragh M. O'Brien

Today we're looking at the many different covers of Caragh M. O'Brien's Birthmarked and choosing a winner! Some are rejackets and others are foreign language covers.

In the future, in a world baked dry by the harsh sun, there are those who live inside the walled Enclave and those, like sixteen-year-old Gaia Stone, who live outside. Following in her mother's footsteps Gaia has become a midwife, delivering babies in the world outside the wall and handing a quota over to be "advanced" into the privileged society of the Enclave. Gaia has always believed this is her duty, until the night her mother and father are arrested by the very people they so loyally serve. Now Gaia is forced to question everything she has been taught, but her choice is simple: enter the world of the Enclave to rescue her parents, or die trying.

(I haven't read this book)



(US-UK/UK) I've never understood left's cover. It's just weird. If you've read this, does it make any sense? The weird multicoloured electrical wire bothers me the most. I like the concept of the UK cover but I don't like cover itself. A face in writing is usually cool (Delirium for example). but the flowers look cheesy to me and the writing if hard to read in the white parts.


(US/French) I love the US cover a whole heck of a lot. The wooden texture is love, the ribbon really draws your attention and the fonts are gorgeous! There is a Portuguese cover like this one that I didn't include (I like to keep it even) but somehow that's not a nice. The French one is okay. It reminds me of the cover of Mind Games, but doesn't have as much punch. I like the font though! I'm a little distracted by the almost Egyptian symbols to the right. It comes across as a lot more sci-fi than the other covers.


 (German/Spanish) I've not put the wrong cover here, this really is the cover of Glimmerglass, reused. They even used a similar font. It's a gorgeous cover but I don't think any cover should be reused like that. Seems a bit rude. I like the mystery of the Spanish cover, but I love that font with a passion.


Winner


Everything about this cover screams perfection to be. Especially the fonts. I love the fonts!

Agree/Disagree? Let me know in the comments.
Next week: Just Listen by Sarah Dessen

Comments

  1. Although I love the original cover that you've chosen. I sort of like the second in the top row. I kind of like when words are featured on covers in that way. :)
    Jazmen@ This Girl Reads A lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely like the UK cover with the word face the best. The colors are pretty, and I don't care if they're cheesy, I like the flowers ;) And seriously, how and why did they reuse another book's cover? That makes no sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay so I had to investigate further (I seriously couldn't go to bed without knowing, that's probably weird), and apparently it's weird, but totally on the up-and-up. Here's from the author's site: http://www.caraghobrien.com/book/birthmarked/tale-of-two-covers/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How odd! I knew the author had nothing to do with it and the publisher would have bought the rights to the cover, but why they used it for this an not glimmerglass confuses me. Oh well!

      Delete
  4. I have the U.S. "wooden cover," and this is an usual case where I prefer the U.S. cover by far. (I haven't read this book, either, so I have no idea if there's any meaning to the covers.) The French cover is my least favorite - just a close-up of a pretty, massively photoshopped girl that could probably be stuck onto just about any book cover.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus