Review of Pantomime by Laura Lam

Format: eBook
Genres: magic, lgbt, fantasy,
Pages: 320
Publisher: Strange Chemistry
Release Date: 05/02/2013
Find The Author: Website ¦ Twitter
Book Depository ¦ Amazon UK/US ¦ Goodreads


R.H. Ragona’s Circus of Magic is the greatest circus of Ellada. Nestled among the glowing blue Penglass – remnants of a mysterious civilisation long gone – are wonders beyond the wildest imagination. It’s a place where anything seems possible, where if you close your eyes you can believe that the magic and knowledge of the vanished Chimeras is still there. It’s a place where anyone can hide.

Iphigenia Laurus, or Gene, the daughter of a noble family, is uncomfortable in corsets and crinoline, and prefers climbing trees to debutante balls. Micah Grey, a runaway living on the streets, joins the circus as an aerialist’s apprentice and soon becomes the circus’s rising star. But Gene and Micah have balancing acts of their own to perform, and a secret in their blood that could unlock the mysteries of Ellada.





Pantomime is a fantasy story about a circus, a girl and a boy - who's the same person. I really loved this book simply because it was so unique, I've never read a story about an intersex person before and the subject was handled relaly well, I felt. The world Laura Lam created was extensive, and I felt that we'd barely scraped the surface of that world, which is not something I'd experienced before.

Micah, Gene or Iphigenia, is one of the most complicated characters I've ever met and the most interesting. Through flashbacks I got to know a girl who's used to be prodded and poked by doctors and forced into hideous dresses and anything she does that may be considered masculine is frowned upon. In the present I got to know a boy, who's just getting to know himself and what he can do at the circus, as well as falling in love for the first time and dealing with the struggles of hiding any parts that may be considered feminine. I often found myself wishing that Gene could just be Gene, instead of having to hide parts of themselves.

I love circus stories, and although Gene is the main focus of the story, the circus and it's many performers are also incredibly well written and fascinating. I didn't feel like any of the characters were just background and I wanted to get to know each one, which would have probably taken far too many books. From the desperate, greedy Ragona to Drystan, who's hiding his own secrets, the characters are what really makes the whole story so good.

I did find some parts of this book slow but I really enjoyed reading it and I can't wait to start the sequel. The ending was so shocking, I wasn't expecting it at all. There's so much more to this world that I want to discover!



Comments

  1. This sounds absolutely fantastic and you make the author sound very talented. I hope you enjoy the second! Thanks for the good review- I've never seen this book before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'm always looking for unique stories and I love shocking endings =) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful review! Looking forward to reading it. Seems most of SC's titles are very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to read this book for ages. I'm so sad that I didn't get to read this one in April for LGBT Month and now I feel like I won't ever have time again. Lovely review though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so unique and interesting! I don't think I've read anything like this before and now I'm very curious. I've got to find time to fit in non-review books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:13 pm BST

    Reading the synopsis, I could not have guesses that these two people were the same and for that reason alone it already sounds like a fanastic read

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus