Review of Reckoning by Kerry Wilkinson

Format: Paperback
Genres: Dystopia, Romance,
Pages: 378
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Release Date: 22/05/2014
Find The Author: Website ¦ Twitter
Book Depository ¦ Amazon UK/US ¦ Goodreads


In the village of Martindale, hundreds of miles north of the new English capital of Windsor, sixteen-year-old Silver Blackthorn takes the Reckoning. This coming-of-age test not only decides her place in society - Elite, Member, Inter or Trog - but also determines that Silver is to become an Offering for King Victor.

But these are uncertain times and no one really knows what happens to the teenagers who disappear into Windsor Castle. Is being an Offering the privilege everyone assumes it to be, or do the walls of the castle have something to hide?

Trapped in a maze of ancient corridors, Silver finds herself in a warped world of suspicion where it is difficult to know who to trust and who to fear. The one thing Silver does know is that she must find a way out . .



Reckoning is an interesting and oddly unique tale. I say this because throughout the book I kept recognising things that seemed to be pulled from other books. I saw elements from The Hunger Games, Matched, City of Ember and even Harry Potter and although I did enjoy the book overall, I had difficulty liking a book that seemed to borrow so many things.

Silver Blackthorn herself is one scary chick. There was a huge flaw in her creation, and that was her feelings  or the lack of them. I did like her but I found her pretty scary, as she seemed totally cool with just leaving her family and friends for oh, the rest of her life. And then when one person starts taunting another kid she practically breaks their windpipe. I was never sure what she was going to do next.

The relationship between Silver and Imrin was interesting, particularly as she ditched her last potential boyfriend back home so quickly (Hunger Games much?). I never understood why they connected and Imrin himself wasn't particularly memorable. If he'd have spontaneously combusted I wouldn't have really cared.

The borrowed elements... they were too close to not notice. I mentioned Hunger Games but the selection process of each member becoming a Trog, Member, Elite or Inter reminded me strongly of a similar process in City Of Ember. The technology reminded me of Matched and the feasting hall was just a little too alike Harry Potter. I'm unsure if I was just being picky but it bothered me a lot.

The ending tried for a plot twist that didn't really work. I enjoyed the ending and the book however, and I appreciated that the book was set in England for once. I'm curious to find out what Silver will do next, or who she'll beat to death next anyway. I do think I'll have to re-read this as Imrin and a few other side characters weren't very memorable.



Comments

  1. Anonymous1:45 pm BST

    Oh, oh, I have read all those books. Always a bummer when authors feel the need to let their writing be so heavily influenced.. I do like that this book is set in England! This is going to be a maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus