Review of She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick

Format: Paperback
Genres: Disability, Mystery, Contemporary,
Pages: 240
Publisher: Indigo
Release Date: 03/07/2014
Find The Author: Website ¦ Twitter
Book Depository ¦ Amazon UK/US ¦ Goodreads


Laureth Peak's father has taught her to look for recurring events, patterns, and numbers--a skill at which she's remarkably talented. Her secret: She is blind. But when her father goes missing, Laureth and her 7-year-old brother Benjamin are thrust into a mystery that takes them to New York City where surviving will take all her skill at spotting the amazing, shocking, and sometimes dangerous connections in a world full of darkness. She Is Not Invisible is an intricate puzzle of a novel that sheds a light on the delicate ties that bind people to each other.


The gorgeous cover of this book was what first caught my eye, and then the mention that the main character is blind. I've read stories about blind people before and I find the idea of writing from the perspective of someone who couldn't see fascinating. She Is Not Invisible is an interesting and thought provoking book, but it didn't blow me away. 

The writing style is lovely and tells the story of Laureth and Benjamin in New York, looking for their father. I disliked how people treated Laureth, both before and after they realised she was blind. It reminded me a little of how people treat me when they realise I'm partially deaf. 

I found the blind aspect quite cleverly done because although I have no idea of what it's like to be blind, I did feel there was details I would normally expect that were missing, descriptions of places and objects that Laureth obviously couldn't describe. This is where Benjamin came in useful, as his voice was able to tell Laureth where she was and what was going on.

At times this book did feel like a family movie, particularly the ending. It was this that made the book less interesting for me and predictable. I felt like the book went from a YA to Middle Grade back and forth a lot with cheesy characters and even cheesier family moments.

This is my first Marcus Sedgwick book and I would be happy to pick up another, as this book was very memorable. I love Ben and his conversations with Stan, the stuffed toy raven, even if it did drive Laureth up the wall!



Comments

  1. The cover of this is just beautiful! I'm glad the inside is good as well. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was the first of his books I've read too. I really enjoyed it and will be reading more from him in the future. great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:31 pm BST

    The way the title is positioned on the cover is really clever. I've never read a book with a blind main character so I am curious to see what that is like.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus