Review of Dance Of The Red Death by Bethany Griffin

Series: Masque Of The Red Death #2
Format: Paperback
Genres: Paranormal, Romance, Gothic
Pages: 327
Publisher: Indigo
Release Date:  04/04/2014
Find The Author: Website ¦ Twitter

Abe Books ¦ Book Depository ¦ Goodreads


In Dance of the Red Death, Araby’s world is in shambles—betrayal, death, disease, and evil forces surround her. She has no one to trust. But she finds herself and discovers that she will fight for the people she loves, and for her city.

Her revenge will take place at the menacing masked ball, though it could destroy her and everyone she loves... or it could turn her into a hero.

With a nod to Edgar Allan Poe, Bethany Griffin concludes her tragic and mysterious Red Death series with a heroine that young adult readers will never forget.



I re-read Masque Of The Red Death before I started this book and honestly, my whole memories of the wonderful world I loved changed. The world itself was still amazing and the plagues were bloody and brutal but the whole plot was overshadowed by this awful love triangle that the author insisted on focusing on and Araby just annoyed me.

Sadly, this love triangle continues in this book and much like plague sores, multiples and just gets worse the more I try and ignore it. It's like the author felt that the story (you know, that plague thing) was secondary to the very very important love triangle. I just wanted Araby to get with April and leave the boys to their own devices to be quite honest.

There are a few nods to Poe's other work in this book and the author is clearly very well researched on him - although as she's released a third book based on his work unrelated to this one, I should hope so. While I love the idea of retellings of Poe's work, I am hoping for something completely the author's own in the future.

The ending was great and everything I had been hoping for, up until the last chapter. If you've read the original story by Edgar Allen Poe, you'll have been waiting for the final showdown all this time and it really does not disappoint. The things that Prospero does are both shocking and brutal, he really is a perfect villain. The last chapter did leave something to be desire however. I felt that we needed an extra book to wrap the book up properly.

Overall, this was a great, unique read and I really did fall in love with Araby's world - as diseased as it was. I wanted to join Araby and April for a night out, wearing gorgeous dresses and fancy masks, dancing the world away. The whole story was gorgeously gothic and I love forward to seeing what else the author has to offer.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus