Review of Dreams Of Gods And Monsters by Laini Taylor

Series: Daughter Of Smoke And Bone #3
Format: eBook
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Magic,
Pages: 613
Publisher: Little, Brown Books
Release Date: 08/04/2014
Find The Author: Website ¦ Twitter
Abe Books ¦ Book Depository ¦ Goodreads


In this thrilling conclusion to the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy, Karou is still not ready to forgive Akiva for killing the only family she's ever known.

When a brutal angel army trespasses into the human world, Karou and Akiva must ally their enemy armies against the threat--and against larger dangers that loom on the horizon. They begin to hope that it might forge a way forward for their people. And, perhaps, for themselves--maybe even toward love.

From the streets of Rome to the caves of the Kirin and beyond, humans, chimaera, and seraphim will fight, strive, love, and die in an epic theater that transcends good and evil, right and wrong, friend and enemy.



I know for many readers, this series is a much loved one but I only enjoyed the first book and struggled a lot with it's sequels. My main problem with this series is the sheer lack of doing anything. There was so many amazing things and travelling around the world in the first book and then to just sit around for most of the sequels was disappointing to me. 

The second book is supposed to have the boring plot lines, it's the second book after all. However, this book was definitely worse for me. In the second book we saw the action from many different view points and that kept me reading, in this there was only a couple and on top of that, a large cast of characters I just couldn't keep up with.

Akiva and Karou are continuing the flirt with each other and I just really didn't care whether they got together or not. She seemed to have forgiven him for whatever he had done in book one but still kept her distance while thinking about him every so often. This was one thing I was glad of - despite Akiva's best attempts at self-pity, Karou did not spend all of her time pining after him and got on with the task at hand instead. 

The end chapters where very confusing too. About 70% in Stuff Happens that honestly felt like the author had suddenly had a great idea and had then decided to try and ram this great idea into the story and try and make it work. Readers on this book, I'm on about the Akiva thing. Non-Readers of this book, I'm on about the stupidest plot idea I have ever read.

Although this is a very unique story and a very interesting one too, with two worlds no less, the two sequels have never quite lived up to the first book for me. The second book started slowing down and by the end I was bored - in this book the boredom continued right until the very last page. I was just happy to finish it. Considering we only really visited one world and not two in the first book, being bored by the sequels was surprising.

Comments

  1. Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy this! I loved the first two books, and I bought DoGaM the day it came out. Unfortunately, I still have not read it yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus