Review of Ghosting by Edith Pattou

Format: eBook (for review)
Genres: contemporary, verse
Pages: 392
Publisher: Skyscape
Release Date: 19/08/2014
Find The Author: Website ¦ Twitter
Abe Books ¦ Book Depository ¦ Goodreads



On a hot summer night in a Midwestern town, a high school teenage prank goes horrifically awry. Alcohol, guns, and a dare. Within minutes, as events collide, innocents becomes victims—with tragic outcomes altering lives forever, a grisly and unfortunate scenario all too familiar from current real-life headlines. But victims can also become survivors, and as we come to know each character through his/her own distinctive voice and their interactions with one another, we see how, despite pain and guilt, they can reach out to one another, find a new equilibrium, and survive.

Told through multiple points of view in naturalistic free verse and stream of consciousness, this is an unforgettable, haunting tale.



Ghosting is a simple, quick story about a group of teenagers who do what all teenagers in books and movies do - get drunk, drive around and for whatever drunk reason, decide to visit the famous 'ghost house' as it has been named. What happens there changes their lives forever.

The concept of verse is interesting and I didn't really feel that it worked. Instead of coming across as poetic and beautiful, it came across as just bad writing. The character's lives were unfortunately cliched and it was only the massive event that really saved this book. The last half was so much stronger than the first and I'm really glad I stuck with it.

There's a lot of characters in this book that I could keep up with. I did get the feeling that Max was the main character and much of the story and history I picked up from her.My favourite character was Grace, Emma's younger sister. She's kind and thoughtful, I really enjoyed reading her sections even though some parts broe my heart.

The ending wraps things up well and gives most of the characters good endings. I left feeling happy about where the characters were at. This book deals with a difficult issue in America, and handles it well. I'm looking forward to seeing what else the author will bring to the table.



Comments

  1. Ghosting sounds good enough. The subject on hand is quite current in America, and having books that deal with 'healing' and recovery are always a pleasure to read for me. However, for most reviewers who've reviewed this book that I've read - the verse thing has been a problem. I've always found reading in verse very pleasurable, but I guess we'll just have to see with this one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus