Review of The One by Kiera Cass



Series: The Selection #3
Genres: Dystopia, Romance
Pages: 323
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: 23/04/2013
Find The Author: Website / Twitter
Find The Book: BookDepository/AbeBooks UK/US

The Selection changed America Singer's life in ways she never could have imagined. Since she entered the competition to become the next princess of IllĂ©a, America has struggled with her feelings for her first love, Aspen—and her growing attraction to Prince Maxon. Now she's made her choice... and she's prepared to fight for the future she wants.


This is a hard one to review and I'm not sure if it's because I'm really ill right now or simply because I didn't have too many thoughts about it. As with the previous books it's a fluff read so I'm not going to knock points off for being cliched but I did feel like a lot of the events were used purely for shock value and to move the story on as fast as possible.

I stated in a previous review of this that I had wished that Maxon would have chosen his wife in The Elite and then this book could have focussed on the rebels and changing the country for the better. I stand by that, as this book was pretty much filler and the last 30% rushed the plot to the point where I felt like I was being personally attacked by everything going on.

I was really confused with the sudden change of heart from Celeste. It was like the author had decided that everything she did was just petty and nothing to worry about - as if we hadn't been previously told that one of the girls had ended up in the hospital wing after Celeste put broken glass in her shoes, and the maids frequented too after she attacked them.

America continues to be strong willed as usual, getting injured in the process. Also at one point she literally embodied Jean Valjean from Les Miserables after vaulting over a wall and I'm pretty sure she saved Celeste in the process, which was a weird moment. On the other hand, we saw a side to Maxon that I really didn't like.

It's a good end to the story and of course, isn't truly the end. There's two other books in the series about Maxon's daughter who I vaguely remember as being a Huge Brat, so I'm looking forward to reading that but I'm still pretty apprehensive about them. Still, I want to see what my favourite characters have done with their lives.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus