Review of Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets by J.K. Rowling


Series: Harry Potter #2
Genres: Fantasy, Magic
Pages: 360
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Release Date: 02/06/1998
Find The Author:
(Website / Twitter) 
Find The Book: Book Depository / AbeBooks UK / US
Add To Your Goodreads Shelf

"There is a plot, Harry Potter. A plot to make most terrible things happen at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this year." 

Harry Potter's summer has included the worst birthday ever, doomy warnings from a house-elf called Dobby, and rescue from the Dursleys by his friend Ron Weasley in a magical flying car! Back at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry for his second year, Harry hears strange whispers echo through empty corridors - and then the attacks start. Students are found as though turned to stone... Dobby's sinister predictions seem to be coming true.


I can't write a 'proper' review of Harry Potter. I'm 26, so when Harry Potter was released I was right at the age it was marketed towards. I remember starting to notice the hype around Harry Potter when the third book was released (I was 8) and I bought all three books for my holiday. I didn't have a great childhood to be honest and these books were very much my escape. I would beg and beg to get a copy on the release date and my Gran would literally have to fight crowds to get them, I've never seen so much hype around any other book since. So basically, I can't review something that was my entire childhood - here's everything I loved during this re-read (ratings are my guess at what I would have rated as a kid) instead (also I'm presuming that you've read the book, so potential spoilers)


  •  'I'll be in my bedroom, making no noise and pretending I don't exist.' Literally what I say every time we have visitors over.
  • Aunt Petunia casually throwing a frying pan at Harry's head
  • Fred and George actually showing off their intelligence via picking the lock to Harry's cupboard
  • Harry hiding in a cabinet in Borgin and Burkes. The cabinet? Coincidence?  
  • Mr Weasley and Mr Malfoy going at it in the bookshop, resulting in a cut lip for Mr Weasley and a black eye for Mr Malfoy, curtesy of an Encyclopedia Of Toadstools
  • Professor Fltwick getting smacked in the face by sparks from Ron's malfuntioning wand. Poor bloke can't catch a break.
  • Colin Creevey following Harry basically everywhere. In the movies he seemed to disappear after this book.
  • How is there no girls on the Slytherin team?!
  • Lockheart making Harry write addresses over and over - a similar punishment will be given by Umbridge in later books.
  • Myrtle is supposed to be fat. I always thought there was something odd about the casting but I remembered the moves more than the books  
  • Lockheart making Harry act out a Transylvanian villager, a yeti with a head cold and a Vampire that could only eat lettuce
  • Lockheart cuffed Harry merrily on the shoulder. 'Just do what I did Harry!' 'What, drop my wand?' SHADE
  • Ernie having to waft the petrified Nearly Headless Nick up the stairs 
  • Malfoy staying over the Christmas holidays really shows how shit his home life is
  • '...some old witch in Bath had a book that you could never stop reading! You just had to wander around with your nose in it...' I basically do this anyway I wouldn't notice the difference
  • Ron spewing slugs all over Voldy's trophy 
  • Harry being wrestled to the ground by a dwarf who wanted to sing him a Valentine
  • Also, where is Scabbers
  • Myrtle offering to share her toilet with Harry
  • Ginny Weasley is the equivalent of don't talk to strangers online
  • 'Master has given Dobby a sock' heavy bawling noises 


 

Comments

  1. Haha, I love that first bullet point. I don’t like visitors, either. I’d rather hide from them and read.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love comments! Spam comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus