Review of The Knife Of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

TODD HEWITT IS THE LAST BOY IN PRENTISSTOWN.

But Pretisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in a contant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets.

Or are there?

Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence.

Which is impossible.

Prentisstown has been lying to him.

And now he's going to have to run...


This book has been on my TBR probably as long as I have been a book blogger, which is a seriously long time (a good 8 years is my guess). I love Patrick Ness, I loved the concept but at 479 pages I was seriously daunted. I'm choosing a few books randomly now, to cut down my TBR and this came up, so I finally cracked it open.

The story is your standard dystopia/mystery - Todd lives in Prentisstown where everyone has Big Secrets that they all know except for him. You really have to suspend your belief here because apparently everyone has these Big Secrets while being able to hear everyone's thoughts, and somehow Todd is so stupid that he has never once heard even a snippet of something that sounds wrong about Prentisstown in nearly 13 years, not even from the men that raised him.

The whole book is Todd, his dog Manchee and new found female Viola walking a lot and getting beaten up beyond recognition by an absolute nutter. Along the way they slowly discover the Big Secrets, all of which was completely and utterly unsurprising to the point where I'm pretty sure I rolled my eyes at one point. One scene completely broke my heart and left me a sobbing mess and if you've read it you already know which one.

What an utter slog this book was. It's worth noting that I have read three other books by Patrick Ness, two of which I rated 5 stars and the other got 4 stars. So to not enjoy this story was a surprise to me. The pacing, the story, the characters, none of it redeemed the sheer trek through all 479 pages and I felt absolutely nothing when I closed the final page.

Sorry, CW fans.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus

Stacking the Shelves (12/04/2014)